Professor Fiona McQueen was appointed as Scotland's Chief Nursing Officer in March 2015.
The Chief Nursing Officer:
- chairs the Scottish Executive Nurse Directors (CNO-SEND) group which provides strategic leadership for all of Scotland's nursing and midwifery workforce
- is a member of the Health and Social Care Management Board
- chairs the Vale of Leven Hospital Inquiry Implementation Group
- attends meetings of the four country UK Chief Nursing Officers
- attends meetings with Academic Heads – NMAHP (Scottish Universities)
- is a member of the Scottish Anti-Microbial Resistance and Healthcare Associated Infection (SARHAI) Group
- is a member of the Regulators' Liaison Group (Chief Execs of UK Health Regulatory Bodies)
The Chief Nursing Officer is supported by three Associate Chief Nursing Officers and a Chief Health Professions Officer who lead on professional advice and key work streams.
Professor McQueen joined the Scottish Government as interim Chief Nursing Officer in November 2014 after serving as Executive Nurse Director for NHS Ayrshire and Arran for 15 years. Previously, she was Executive Nurse Director at NHS Lanarkshire.