Angela Constance was appointed Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities in May 2016.
The Cabinet Secretary is responsible for:
- Business Improvement Districts
- building standards
- community empowerment, devolution to communities and reform of local government
- community planning, town centres and regeneration
- equalities and the protection and development of social and human rights
- housing and homelessness
- implementation of new powers
- local government and democratic renewal
- older people
- religious and faith organisations
- social justice
- tackling inequalities
- third sector and social economy
- welfare policy, social security and measures against poverty
Angela Constance was born, raised and educated in West Lothian. Prior to 2007, she worked as a social worker and mental health officer and was a local councillor in Livingston.
She has been a Member of the Scottish Parliament since May 2007, first for the Livingston constituency and now for the Almond Valley constituency.
She has served as Minister for Youth Employment and Cabinet Secretary for Training Youth and Women's Employment. She was appointed as Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning in November 2014.