Homelessness Prevention and Strategy Group
Role of the group
What we do
We exist to bring about positive change for those experiencing or at risk of experiencing homelessness in Scotland, taking joint ownership of problems and solutions and taking an active role in achieving the goal of ending homelessness in Scotland.
- Strategy: We will consider what needs to be done, how, when and by whom in order to realise our shared goal of ending homelessness in Scotland.
We will do this by continuously seeking to understand more about the experience of homelessness in Scotland, especially during the immediate changing times, so as to identify valuable interventions and advising the Scottish Government and other partners on how to implement these.
Action: We will take forward actions already identified through the work of the Local Government and Communities Committee and the Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Action Group (HARSAG) to improve the experience of anyone already experiencing or at risk of homelessness, and to prevent it altogether.
We will do this by using our status as leaders in the field and/or with a platform from which to represent and engage others. We will seek ways to engage our stakeholders to work together and catalyse the collaborative endeavour needed to turn words into action, taking responsibility for overseeing the development and delivery of joined up action plans across the public and third sectors.
Evaluation: We will ensure Scotland can demonstrate measurable progress towards our shared goal of ending homelessness, at every point on the journey, until homelessness is driven down for good.
- We will do this by instigating proportionate and appropriate evaluation plans for the implementation of agreed actions, including recommendations made by HARSAG and other recommendations, examining them at key points and seeking to respond and provide advice to rectify issues or improve plans as they arise.
- Kevin Stewart MSP, Co-Chair Minister for Local Government and Housing
- Cllr Elena Whitham, Co-Chair Community Wellbeing Spokesperson, COSLA
- Peter Barry SOLACE
- David Duke Street Soccer
- Adam Lang Shelter Scotland
- Lorraine McGrath Simon Community/Streetwork
- John Mills ALACHO
- Jon Sparkes Chief Executive, Crisis UK
- Janice Stevenson LGBT Youth Scotland
- Sally Thomas SFHA
- Gavin Yates Homeless Action Scotland
- Neil Hamlet NHS Fife
- representative to be confirmed Aff the streets