beta

You're viewing our new website - find out more

News

Education Maintenance Allowances 2014-15

Published: 20 Apr 2016 09:30
Part of:
Statistics

A National Statistics Publication for Scotland.

Scotland's Chief Statistician today published revised statistics on Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs) in the academic year 2014-15. An error was identified in the original statistics, released on Wednesday 23 March 2016.

The number of EMA recipients at college in 2014-15 was approximately 800 higher than originally reported. The number in 2013-14 was approximately 500 higher than originally reported. As a result, the college EMA figures and total EMA figures for 2013-14 and 2014-15 have been revised.

EMAs provide financial support for 16 to 19 year olds from low-income households to overcome financial barriers to participate in appropriate school or college courses or an Activity Agreement. These statistics relate to the 2014-15 academic year.

Key findings include:

  • 33,180 school pupils and college students received EMA payments in Scotland in the academic year 2014-15, a decrease of 6 per cent (2,290) from 35,470 in 2013-14
  • School pupils account for 68 per cent of young people in receipt of EMA payment, with the remaining 32 per cent being college students
  • Of all 16-19 year old school pupils in Scotland, 31 per cent (22,530) received EMA payments in 2014-15. Of all full time 16-19 year old college students, 22 per cent (10,650) received at least one EMA payment in 2014-15
  • The proportion of EMA recipients living in Scotland's 20 per cent most deprived areas in 2014-15 was the highest on record at 35 per cent (11,635), although the actual number of recipients decreased by 540 from 12,175 in 2013-14. Among school pupils receiving EMAs, 33 per cent were living in the 20 per cent most deprived areas, while among college students receiving EMAs, 38 per cent were living in the 20 per cent most deprived areas
  • The total amount spent on EMA payments in 2014-15 was £26.5 million, a decrease of £2.1 million from £28.6 million in 2013-14. Of this, £18.6 million (70 per cent) was paid out to school pupils, and the remaining £7.9 million (30 per cent) was paid out to young people attending college.

Notes to editors

The full National Statistics publication can be accessed here.

Additional information on Education Maintenance Allowances in Scotland can be found here.

The figures released today were produced in accordance with professional standards set out in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. More information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be accessed here.