beta

You're viewing our new website - find out more

News

Key fish quotas increase

Published: 4 Dec 2015 19:52

Fisheries Secretary welcome £15 million increase in quota package.

Significant increases in quota for the Scottish fleet in both haddock and cod have been agreed at negotiations between the EU and Norway.

Fisheries Secretary Richard Lochhead has welcomed the increases of 15 per cent for cod and 30 per cent for haddock, with an additional top up of 17 per cent for vessels affected by the discard ban – giving a total increase of over 47 per cent.

The total package could offer potential opportunities worth over £15 million for the Scottish fishing industry.

The quota for North Sea herring will increase by 16 per cent, whiting and plaice are both a rollover, this is particularly good outcome for whiting given the initial advice was that this stock would be down by 15 per cent.

Mr Lochhead said:

"These significant increases for both haddock and cod, in line with scientific advice, are good news for the fishing industry.

"Following a year which saw landings up by nearly a fifth and revenues worth over £500 million, these increases in quota mean fishermen can further boost catch and profit and could be worth over £15 million. This will also help the fleet manage the discard ban, which will stop dead haddock being thrown back into the sea, which will in turn improve the stocks of fish.

"It is disappointing that the Cod Fully Documented (camera) fishery has not been supported for continuation as it clearly has been a very positive feature in changing fishing patterns and benefiting the Cod stocks, and I view that as a lost opportunity for all with an interest in sustainable fisheries management.

"Of course, we will continue to fight for the best interests of the Scottish industry at next week's negotiations with the Faroe Islands and the following week at the Fisheries Council in Brussels. I want to get the best possible deal to deliver a sustainable and profitable fishing industry in Scotland."