- Part of:
- Law and order
A National Statistics Publication for Scotland.
Updated prison statistics have been released today by Scotland's Chief Statistician. Prison statistics and population projections Scotland: 2013-14 include information on the Scottish prison population, including population by type of custody and establishment, characteristics of prisoners, receptions to / liberations from penal establishments and ten year population projections.
The main points are:
• The prison population has fallen by 2 per cent between 2012-13 and 2013-14 to an annual daily average of 7,894, continuing the fall observed since 2011-12. The sentenced population decreased by 3 per cent to 6,419, while the remand population remained stable at 1,474.
• During 2013-14, the average daily population decreased by 2 per cent to 7,462 for men, while the female population fell by 6 per cent to 432. The young persons population showed a marked drop of 18 per cent to 566, and this continues the downward trend observed since the late 00s.
• Current prison population projections suggest that prison population levels in Scotland will remain stable over the projection period with an annual average of 7,800.
1. The publication can be accessed through the Scottish Government website at http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Crime-Justice/PubPrisons.
2. This is a National Statistics release for Scotland. Official and National Statistics are produced to professional standards set out in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. They undergo regular quality assurance reviews to ensure that they meet customer needs and are produced free from political interference. more information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be found at:
3. More recent population figures based on Scottish Prison Service management information confirm that the prison population has continued to fall since 2013-14. The most recent published figure for 2014-15 shows a drop of 2 per cent over the previous year. These figures are published in the Scottish Prison Service annual reports available on the SPS website (http://www.sps.gov.uk). SPS also publish population figures on a weekly basis and these can be found at http://www.sps.gov.uk/Corporate/Information/SPSPopulation.aspx.
4. Further information on Criminal Justice statistics in Scotland can be accessed at: