Marine Scotland Science today published the Scottish Fish Farm Production Survey 2014. The publication details statistics on the employment and production from Scottish fish farms. It is structured to follow industry trends within the farmed Atlantic salmon, rainbow trout and other species sectors. Some statistics are given for the 21-year period 1994-2014.
The main findings are;
- Production of Atlantic salmon increased by 15,788 tonnes (9.7%) in 2014 to 179,022 tonnes. This is the highest ever level production recorded in Scotland and follows on from a 0.6% increase in 2013.
- Production tonnage of rainbow trout increased by 4.8% in 2014 to 5,882 tonnes. This follows on from a 1% decrease in 2013.
- Brown trout/sea trout production increased by four tonnes to 48 tonnes in 2014.
- The full statistical publication can be accessed at: www.gov.scot/Topics/marine/Fish-Shellfish/FHI/surveys
- The survey is compiled from data collected directly from authorised fish farming businesses
- Official statistics are produced by professionally independent staff – more information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be accessed at: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/About