Empowering Communities Fund
We provide funding for community-led regeneration programmes through our Empowering Communities Fund.
The Empowering Communities Fund splits into a number of targeted funds and programmes, which are detailed below.
Strengthening Communities Programme
The Strengthening Communities Programme (SCP) focuses on strengthening community organisations to help them provide activities and services which meet their communities' needs.
It invests in community organisations that are close to becoming sustainable but need more support to help them achieve it. This allows them to work on more ambitious projects and initiatives.
People and Communities Fund
The People and Communities Fund (PCF) focuses on projects that promote social inclusion and tackle poverty, including reducing the negative impact of welfare reform.
It supports a wide range of community anchor organisations throughout Scotland, such as registered social landlords, development trusts, local health improvement groups and social enterprises – organisations that already have a proven track record of delivering positive regeneration outcomes in their local communities.
The support provided includes:
- training and upskilling
- volunteering and employability advice
- peer-mentoring opportunities
- funding for community facilities
- intergenerational working
- healthy eating initiatives
Given the fund's focus on community-led regeneration, the range of people benefiting from its support is diverse. It includes:
- lone parents
- people suffering from a range of health issues and disabilities
- older people
- ethnic minorities
- other vulnerable groups
- rural or fragile communities
PCF funding for the period 2016 to 2017 is £10.75 million. Since its launch in 2012, it has invested more than £41 million in hundreds of community-led projects that tackle inequality across Scotland.
Community Choices Fund
Community Choices Fund 2016 to 2017
A total of 137 applications for funding were received in 2016 to 2017, to the sum of £7,097,287. Of those, 23 were from public authorities totalling £1,322,385 and 114 from community organisations totalling £5,774,902.
Find information on successful Community Choices Fund applicants from 2016 to 2017 in our archive.
Aspiring Communities Fund
The two-year £18.9 million Aspiring Communities Fund will help community bodies and third sector organisations in our most deprived and fragile communities develop and deliver long-term local solutions that:
- address local priorities and needs
- increase active inclusion
- build on the assets of local communities to reduce poverty and to enable inclusive growth
The Empowering Communities Fund also supports:
- community asset ownership through the Community Ownership Support Service, a help and advice service delivered by Development Trusts Association Scotland (DTAS)
- the Coalfields Regeneration Trust (CRT), an independent regeneration organisation established in 1999 to improve the quality of life in Britain's coalfield communities
- smaller but equally important pieces of work that support the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015