Creative industries are those based on individual creativity, skill and talent, or which have the potential to create wealth and jobs through the development or production of intellectual property.
In Scotland creative industries support more than 70,000 jobs and make an important contribution to our national wealth and international reputation.
We are working in partnership with other organisations to support Scotland's creative industries and ensure that they continue to enrich and grow our economy.
We are supporting Scotland’s creative industries by:
- funding incentives and resources for the screen industry to encourage more film and TV production in Scotland
- funding Creative Scotland, the national public body for the arts, screen and creative industries, to develop and promote creative talent in Scotland (£33,632,000 from 2015 to 2016)
- working with Creative Scotland to deliver its Creative Industries Strategy 2016-2017 for informing and supporting the work of creative businesses in Scotland
- developing a shared work plan with the Scottish Creative Industries Partnership to co-ordinate public sector support for growing the sector
- working with Skills Development Scotland to implement their Creative Industries Skills Investment Plan for addressing skills gaps
- chairing the Creative Industries Advisory Group, which aims to advise Scottish Ministers on how best to support and grow the sector
Scotland’s creative industries contribute more than £5 billion to the Scottish economy every year.
Our Economic Strategy identifies creative industries as a growth sector where Scotland can build on existing advantages to increase productivity and growth.
In particular, we aim to develop Scotland as a production centre for television, film and new media and are working to create the right conditions to allow these industries to flourish.
The creative industries sector is made up of 13 distinct industries:
- art and antiques
- designer fashion
- interactive leisure software
- performing arts
- software and computer services
- TV and radio
Bills and legislation
Section 36 of the Public Services Reform (2010) Act 2010 legislated for the creation of Creative Scotland and determined its functions.
Phone: 0300 244 4000
Culture and Historic Environment