We are providing a range of learning and care support for families with young children, from birth up until starting school, to ensure that all children get the best possible start in life.
We are supporting families by:
- improving early learning and childcare and increasing the free entitlement from 600 hours to 1,140 hours per year by 2020
- allocating 435 additional graduates to nurseries in Scotland’s most deprived areas
- offering baby boxes filled with essential items to all babies born in Scotland
- funding the Bookbug programme to provide free books and learning sessions for young children
- publishing resources for parents such as Play, Talk, Read to help parents to engage with their children effectively
- running the Children and Young People Improvement Collaborative to improve services for children, young people and families
On 29 March 2018, the Scottish Government and COSLA published a joint consultation Early Learning and Childcare Service Model for 2020: Consultation Paper, which sets out the Funding Follows the Child approach and seeks views on the proposed National Standard that underpins it.
The introduction of this new approach represents a substantial change for the early learning and childcare sector in Scotland. We want to ensure that everyone in the sector, can provide their views on the new model. We want to hear these views and that is why we are consulting on the proposed National Standard.
As part of the consultation process, we will be running a series of engagement events across Scotland to hear directly from you on the approach set out in the consultation paper. If you would like to attend any of the events, please follow the below links to book your place:
- 30 May 2018 - DoubleTree by Hilton, Cambridge Suite, Glasgow Central (Book on Eventbrite)
- 2 June 2018 - Best Western Plus Lochardil House Hotel, Inverness (Book on Eventbrite)
- 6 June 2018 - Best Western Queens Hotel, Dundee (Book on Eventbrite)
- 7 June 2018 - The Golden Lion Hotel, Stirling (Book on Eventbrite)
- 9 June 2018 - Scottish Storytelling Centre, Edinburgh (Book on Eventbrite)
- 11 June 2018 - Saltcoats Town Hall, Saltcoats (Book on Eventbrite)
Our policies to support the education and care of young children are part of Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC) - our national approach to improving outcomes and supporting the wellbeing of children and young people.
Email: Central Enquiries Unit firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 0300 244 4000
Creating Positive Futures Division
Children and Families Directorate
Area 2C - North