Our international obligations
We work with UK and international organisations to safeguard and promote the increasing observance of human rights standards.
These are set out in a range of international legislation, treaties and conventions including the:
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
- European Convention on Human Rights
- UN Convention Against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
- International Covenant on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
International and European bodies regularly review the UK's performance in meeting its obligations under treaties and conventions it is signed up to.
Some of the resulting recommendations are for Scotland as a devolved administration to consider, observe and implement.
The UK is required to respond to the recommendations, and we submit contributions to reflect Scotland's approach to protecting and promoting human rights.
Our UN treaties and conventions factsheet details all the treaties and conventions ratified by the UK, and provides links to UK state party reports, Scottish Government position statements, and UN treaty body concluding observations.
UN treaties reporting obligations table
This includes our position statements for all relevant treaties and conventions, and the dates for the next UK examinations.
|Treaty/Convention||Last report||Next activity|
|Universal Periodic Review||April 2017||4 May 2017 (interactive dialogue)|
|International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights||March 2016||June 2021 (State Party report)|
|International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights||January 2015||July 2020 (State Party report)|
|Convention on the Rights of the Child||March 2016||January 2022 (State Party report)|
|Convention Against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment||May 2014||May 2017 (State Party report)|
|International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination||July 2015||August 2017 (Follow-up information)|
|Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women||August 2011||July 2017 (State Party report)|
|Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities||November 2011||August 2017 (Review)|
|European Convention for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment||June 2014|