Offsite construction involves manufacturing and pre-assembling large sections of a building offsite in a factory.
The industry is starting to grow and there are a number of off-site manufacturers either based or considering investment in Scotland.
We support developments in this industry because:
- it is suited to building affordable housing. High sustainability standards can be achieved efficiently and at less cost than more traditional construction methods. See the industry-led offsite housing review, February 2013 for more information.
- it has potential to support multi-skilled trades and deliver homes in a controlled environment
- it could increase standards and reduce the impacts of variable weather and site difficulties on the final product, increasing build speeds and reducing costs.
- a number of companies, housing associations and local authorities have already used this approach – and it has potential to grow further.
- we want companies in Scotland to maximise the potential of innovative design and construction techniques to deliver a greater number of greener homes.
New build market transformation (NBMT)
A theme of Scotland's Sustainable Housing Strategy was transforming the market for new buildings. We want companies in Scotland to maximise the potential of innovative design and construction techniques to deliver a greater number of greener homes.