Benefits for carers
The benefit currently available for carers is Carer's Allowance, which helps certain eligible people with the expenses incurred by caring for someone with substantial caring needs. Read the full rules for Carer's Allowance on gov.uk.
How we are improving Carer's Allowance
In October 2015 the First Minister committed to increasing the level of Carer's Allowance to that of Jobseeker's Allowance. The Social Security (Scotland) Bill provides a mechanism to pay the Carer's Allowance supplement at the earliest opportunity, which will be summer 2018.
We will also:
- increase the Carer's Allowance for those looking after more than one disabled child
- introduce a Young Carer Grant from autumn 2019 to help carers aged 16, 17, and 18 if still in school, to help them access the same opportunities as other young adults
Further information on the Young Carer's Grant:
Policy position paper
We set up the following groups to advise Scottish Ministers on developing policy for social security benfits for carers:
- Carer Benefit Advisory Group
- Disability and Carers Benefits Expert Advisory Group
- Young Carer Grant Working Group