Within Scottish Government
Following the Grenfell Tower Fire on 14 June 2017, the Scottish Government resilience committee was immediately convened and established the Ministerial Working Group to review Scottish fire safety and building regulations. The group first met on 20 June and continue meeting at regular intervals to steer progress in proposals for action to reduce the risk of fire in buildings in Scotland. The membership of the Building and Fire Safety Ministerial Working Group includes:
- Angela Constance MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities (Chair)
- Kevin Stewart MSP, Minister for Local Government and Housing
- Annabelle Ewing MSP, Minister for Community Safety
- Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
- Her Majesty's Fire Service Inspectorate
- Scottish Government officials, including representatives
- Directorate for Housing and Social Justice
- Directorate for Local Government and Communities
- Directorate for Safer Communities
This first step to consult on fire safety in Scottish homes is led by the Housing Standards and Quality team within the Scottish Government. The consultation document has been developed in liaison with colleagues from Better Homes Division, Building Standards Division, Safer Communities Division, Civil Law and Legal System Division, and with support from colleagues in Communities Analysis Division.
Business / Stakeholders
A working group was established to provide stakeholders the opportunity to help inform and progress development of the draft consultation. It is chaired by the Scottish Government with representatives from COSLA, SFHA, CIH, ALACHO and GWSF attending. The group considered a range of issues and helped make decisions about the consultation's scope and recommendations contained therein. Views were also invited from representative bodies in the private rented sector and owner occupier sector.
This BRIA will be published along-side the Consultation on Fire and Smoke Alarms in Scottish Homes. It will provide members of the public with the opportunity to submit comments during the consultation period. Comments received will inform how the proposals will be taken forward.
Email: Simon Roberts, firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House