1. Commission members are listed in the Annex.
2. 'Joining the Dots' by S Deacon (2011)
'Effective Pre-school, Primary and Secondary Education 3-14 Project' by K Sylva, E Melhuish, P Sammons, I Siraj-Blatchford & B Taggart (2012): 'Early Education and Children's Outcomes: How Long Do the Impacts Last?' by Goodman & Sianesi (2005).
3. Vocationally sensitive education is education that is responsive to vocational opportunities in the area.
4. Outstation learning involves a physical centre in the rural area and distance learning is carried out remotely, e.g. through the internet. Blended learning combines some face-to-face teaching with distance learning.
5. Glow is the digital network for Scottish Education currently managed by Education Scotland.
8. Basic jobs are those that generate sales of products or services outside the region; dependent jobs are those that service the needs of the regional population.
9. Voices from Rural Scotland (2008)
Our Rural Future (2011)
10. Guiding Principle 9 from Building Better Schools: Investing in Scotland's Future (2009)
11. This data is derived from the following Scottish Government statistics, and an additional pro-rata uplift also applies since 2007.
12. Rolls were modelled in line with roll variation for the local authority area.
13. Excluding the uplift referred to in the footnote to paragraph 97.
14. Report on the Future Delivery of Public Services by the Commission chaired by Dr Campbell Christie (2011)
15. The Local Government in Scotland Act 2003 Best Value Guidance (2004)
16. Room for learning - Managing surplus capacity in school buildings, Accounts Commission (1995)
17. The views expressed in paragraph 88 also apply here.
19. Comhairle nan Eilean Siar v. Scottish Ministers (2013) CSIH 6