5. Current Management Measures in the Queen Scallop Fishery
In comparison to other fisheries in UK waters, there are relatively few controls for queen scallops. Currently the fishery is subject to:
- An EU minimum landing size of 40 mm,
- Some control of fishing effort for vessels over 15 metres in length via the EU Western Waters management regime. 
However, unlike other fisheries:
- There are no entry restrictions into the fishery,
- It is not covered by an EU Total Allowable Catch (quota),
- There are no limits to catching periods or fishing time (seasonal closures or curfews).