1. Island Areas Ministerial Working Group (2014) Empowering Scotland's Island Communities . Edinburgh: Scottish Government
2. Scottish Government (2015). Consultation on Provisions for a Future Islands Bill. Edinburgh: Scottish Government.
3. Numbers do not sum to 100% due to rounding. This is also the case at other points in the report.
4. In addition, 8 individual respondents identified themselves as being either an elected member, an MSP or an MP, but stated that they were responding as an individual.
6. This is the case throughout the presentation of the findings on specific questions.
7. At the quantitative questions, where proportions of respondents who answered "yes" or "no" are given, these are, in each case, the proportions of those who addressed the question.
8. The Committee of Enquiry and Functions and Powers of the Island Councils of Scotland chaired by Sir David Montgomery which prepared a report submitted to the UK Parliament in April 1984.
9. Op cit.
10. Shetland's Commission on Tackling Inequalities, established by the Shetland Partnership in 2015.
11. The Fifth Review of Electoral Arrangements, which will make recommendations to Scottish Ministers in Spring 2016 for the council elections in 2017.
12. The Smith Commission (2014): Report of the Smith Commission for further devolution of powers to the Scottish Parliament Edinburgh: The Smith Commission