FOI reference: FOI/17/01744
Date received: 24 July 2017
Date responded: 18 August 2017
1. Who appoints the Permanent Secretary
2. Who appointed Leslie Evans
3. Was there a formal application/interview/decision process
4. Who decides if the Permanent Secretary receives a bonus
5. Has Leslie Evans received a bonus since she has been appointed
1. The Civil Service Commission regulates recruitment to the Civil Service, providing assurance that appointments are on merit after fair and open competition. The Commission is independent of Government and the Civil Service, and its website at http://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/ contains information you might find helpful on the process and the Recruitment Principles. A Civil Service Commissioner chairs selection panels for all external recruitment competitions at Permanent Secretary level.
The First Minister of Scotland makes the final decision, following consultation with the Head of the Civil Service and the First Civil Service Commissioner (Panel Chair in this case).
2. The First Minister of Scotland.
3. The Recruitment Principles mentioned above explain the legal requirement that selection for appointment to the Civil Service must be on merit on the basis of fair and open competition. An open recruitment campaign was undertaken to recruit the Permanent Secretary position in 2015 and the selection process was carried out in line with the Civil Service Commission Recruitment Principles.
4. The UK Permanent Secretary Remuneration Committee makes recommendations to the Prime Minister.
5. The latest available information on the Permanent Secretary's salary, including any bonuses that were awarded, is provided in the Scottish Government's Consolidated Accounts. The 2015-16 Accounts can be found at:- http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/09/8846
Bonus information for 2016-17 is not yet available however it will be included in the Accounts for 2016-17 which are expected to be published in the autumn.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House