beta

You're viewing our new website - find out more

Publication - Minutes

Food Commission minutes: June 2017

Published: 20 Jul 2017
Date of meeting: 15 Jun 2017
Location: Scottish Youth Theatre, Glasgow

Minutes from the meeting of the Food Commission held on 15 June 2017.

Attendees and apologies

Participants

  • Julie Fitzpatrick (Co-Chair)
  • Uel Morton (Co-Chair)
  • David Croft
  • Eleanor Cunningham
  • Ally Dingwall
  • Robin Gourlay
  • Elaine Kerridge
  • Gillian Kynoch
  • Ken Mackenzie
  • Donnie Maclean
  • Caroline Mockford
  • Pete Ritchie
  • George Burgess
  • Neil Davidson
  • Gordon Gilchrist
  • Amanda Fox
  • Rose Munenura
  • Susan Pryde
  • Jackie Kerr
  • Josh Littlejohn
  • Amanda Brown
  • Tim Cowen

Apologies

  • Jackie McCreery
  • Peter Morgan
  • Jackie Brock

Items and actions

1. Welcome and introductions

1.1. Uel welcomed Food Commissioners to the last themed meeting focusing on one of the five Good Food Nation objectives - Social Justice. He then welcomed the guest speakers. For the benefit of new attendees Gordon and Jackie, each commissioner introduced themselves.

2. Presentations

2.1. Josh Littlejohn, CEO of Social Bite, provided an overview of Social Bite which has expanded to include activities in 5 shops over the last 5 years. He described the challenges and rewards involved in employing a workforce where 25% are from a homeless background. He then went on to outline his plans to build a Social Bite village in Edinburgh, aimed at providing a home for 20 homeless people in a supported community environment where individuals may live for 12-18 months. The prototype home is now complete and will be ready for inhabiting by November this year.

There was a brief discussion and Josh answered questions.

2.2. Tim Cowen, Woodlands Community Garden, was introduced by Uel and then presented on the challenges and successes of the Weekly Community café which serves vegetarian food from their garden. This was set up in 2013 and tackles food poverty and social isolation, serving all walks of the community in the garden environment. A homework club is offered to children on Tuesday afternoons which provides healthy food as well as teaching cooking skills to the children. Local GPs also refer patients to the Woodlands Community Garden to promote healthy diets, encourage volunteering and, in some cases, it is used for rehabilitation purposes.

Questions and a short discussion followed.

2.3. Amanda Brown, Strategic Insight Director at Kantar Worldpanel, who has been involved in food & drink in Scotland for 25 years, explained how KANTAR captures data from a panel of 30,000 consumers across the UK. Of these 30,000' 25% report on how their food is cooked and consumed in the home. Results have shown that Scotland’s habits show an increase in fruit, vegetable and salad purchases although consumption is still behind the UK recommendation of 5 portions of fruit/veg per day at 2.1.

Amanda answered questions on her presentation.

3. Social justice

3.1. Discussion on the Social Justice Paper - Julie briefly summarised the paper submitted by the Social Justice team who were unable to join the meeting. The Child Poverty Bill has just had its first reading in Parliament. Donnie pointed out the second point where a duty has been placed on Scottish Ministers to publish Child Poverty Delivery Plans at regular intervals. George advised this information is publicly available on the SG site.

Julie drew attention to the Dignity paper circulated prior to meeting to which Caroline, Pete and Gillian have contributed.

3.2. Discussion on Social Justice and Food - A discussion took place on the increasing frequency of funding reviews and short duration of funding awarded which adds stress to those involved in projects such as Woodlands Farm.

A UNICEF report launched this morning states the UK has some of the highest levels of hunger and deprivation among the worlds’ richest countries, ranking at 34th out of 41 developed countries for food insecurity. Julie asked if SG representatives are surprised at this ranking, it seems there is a considerable lack of awareness to poverty and food injustice in Scotland.

4. Invitation to view the Good Food Nation website

4.1. An overview of the functionality of the new goodfoodnation.scot website was provided by Neil Harrison during lunch which was met with positive feedback from attendees.

5. Minutes

5.1. The minutes of the meeting on 16 March 2017 were agreed as an accurate record of the meeting.

6. Subgroup reports

Julie provided a brief overview of the subgroups, adding that the One City and Summit subgroups will support the SFC’s planned activities with reference to Scotland’s Food Bill.

Action:

  • Circulate list of subgroup members group they are affiliated to.

6.1. Good and Affordable Food and Public Food - Robin summarised his previously circulated reports on Good and Affordable Food and Public Food which include detailed recommendations. He added that the involvement of Peter Morgan of the Rowett Research Institute was beneficial in looking at the One City Approach and that the significant recommendations were framed on what advice would help Scotland achieve Good Food Nation status.

6.2. Sustainable Agriculture - Julie summarised the report which presented the recommendation that Scottish Government should create a single set of guidelines, combining climate change and dietary requirements for health which would support the work of Food Standards Scotland. Julie also briefly explained the work carried out by Gordon Struth and Philip Skuce on greenhouse gases and livestock.

6.3. Prosperity - Julie discussed the potential role the Food Commission might contribute to Scotland Food & Drink’s Strategy 2030 strategy. The areas of work that are complementary to the strategy include Knowledge and Social Justice, two of the Good Food Nation’s objectives. The new Scotland Food & Drink’s strategy emphasises and anticipates a broader impact across multiple sectors in future.

6.4. Marketing - The website will shortly be operational and Food Commissioners can begin to populate material and information with best practice examples from their networks, which will benefit people who access the site. Julie stressed an ongoing requirement to keep the site current by regular updating with new material.

6.5. Education - Julie had visited the General Teaching Council to discuss the lack of Home Economics teachers in Scotland. This is gradually improving with Home Economics related courses being made available in a number of colleges. Eleanor added that new initiatives in education will be discussed as a sub-group soon.

A discussion on when and where documents created by the Food Commission followed. It was decided that these should be published as soon as approved by the Commissioners on the SG website. It was anticipated that these materials will also be published on the Good Food Nation website in the near future.

Action:

  • Julie – Invite subgroups to prepare written material they are happy to put on the SG website. Prepare text and circulate to Julie and Uel before showing to SG and other Food Commissioners prior to being released to website – by end of July.

7. Annual report and Royal Hihgland Show Event

7.1. The Food Commission Event at the RHS will present to around 35 individuals from various backgrounds including education, Scottish Government and the retail food industry. Mr Ewing, the Cabinet Secretary, will be in attendance. The format will follow representatives of the Food Commission briefly covering key areas of the sub-group reports, highlighting specific initiatives and activities to date.

Pete will launch Peas Please project at the RHS next week, with Fergus Ewing, MSP, in attendance.

8. Summit / GFN Bill

8.1. Confirmed as Thursday 28 September in Stirling Court Hotel with the aim to attract 120-150 delegates from relevant professional backgrounds, experts in their fields. It will be important that the Commissioners have an opportunity to consider what might be included in the Food Bill, based on their experience and work to date on the SFC. A workshop will be held prior to the Summit to allow this to take place. The Summit subgroup will then take forward the plans for the Summit in September and they will feed back their suggestions to the SFC. Summit attendees will review, amend and discuss the suggestions made by Commissioners on the potential contend of the Food Bill during the course of the day, culminating in a clear set of questions/areas for inclusion in the Food Bill, which may contribute to a consultation document to be compiled by SG. Suggested looking at barriers in the five areas which are preventing Scotland becoming a Good Food Nation.

Action:

  • Jackie Doodle Poll to Food Commission for a date to meet to discuss the potential content of the Good Food Nation Bill prior to commencement of planning the Summit.
  • Amanda Quotes to be sourced for an independent facilitator for this meeting.

It was asked if the list of potential invitees to the Summit would alter depending on the outcome of this meeting but it was agreed to send “hold the dates” asap and add additional names to the list, as required.

Actions:

  • Suggestions are required on who should be invited to the Summit however – invites should be considered for appropriate delegates to attend to ensure the right influence
  • Jackie Hold the date to be sent to potential invitees to the Summit once contact details received.

9. One city project

9.1. Donnie wrote a paper in January 2017, updated in June 2017, aimed at focussing on Food Commission priorities and activities on a single City in Scotland. Stirling was chosen for location, broad range of population and its university. The plan is to spend 2-3 days per week on a 12 month project, identifying what changes can be made over the next 3-5 years to aid successfully steering Stirling towards Good Food Nation status. Donnie has met with organisations like Forth Environment Link who are already carrying out good work.

9.2. Donnie asked for Input from food commissioners and a discussion took place. It was stressed that no formal proposal had yet been submitted for the project. Julie and Uel will meet key representatives of Scotland Food and Drink on 19 June. Uel commented that SF&D have the resource and this is an opportunity for SFC to do some positive work in an area which would greatly benefit.

Action:

  • Julie Update Food Commission on the outcome of meeting on 19 June

10. AOB

10.1. Amanda will move to a new role, in Rural Economy. Julie thanked Amanda for her enthusiastic support and great attention to detail.

10.2. Andrew Sutherland has resigned from SFC.

Action:

  • Decision on whether to replace Andrew Sutherland and if so a skills matrix to be created

10.3. Uel reflected on today’s speakers: Josh Littlejohn - engaging vulnerable people through food.
Tim Cowen, - community action generating wellbeing Amanda Brown – an insight to retail and in-home consumption of food and the increase on outside home consumption.

Action:

  • Jackie to send the presentations from today’s meeting to Amanda for upload to the website.

10.4. Julie urged focus on a smaller number of targets where we feel we can make significant impact. A substantial amount of work has gone on since the inception of the Food Commission and it is essential to have the outputs to deliver. The Summit will be the focus for this.

Summary of action points

  • Prepare written material that they are happy to put on the SG website. To prepare text and circulate to Julie and Uel before showing to SG and other Food Commissioners prior to being released to website by end July - Subgroups
  • Doodle Poll to food commission for a date to meet to discuss the potential content of the Good Food Nation Bill prior to planning the Summit - Jackie K
  • Quotes to be sourced for an independent facilitator for this meeting - Amanda
  • Hold the date to be sent to potential invitees to the Summit once contact details received - Jackie K
  • Update SFC following SF&D meeting on 18 June - Julie
  • Send the presentations from today’s meeting to Amanda for upload to the website - Jackie K
  • Circulate list of subgroup members and which group they are affiliated to - Jackie K
  • Suggestions are required on who should be invited to the Summit however – invites should be considered for appropriate delegates to attend to ensure the right influence - Food Commissioners
  • Decision on whether to replace Andrew Sutherland and if so a skills matrix to be created - Food Commissioners

Contact

Email: goodfoodnation@gov.scot

Telephone: 0300 244 9802

Post:
Scottish Government
Food, Drink and Rural Communities
B1 Spur
Saughton House
Broomhouse Drive
Edinburgh
EH11 3XD

Published:
20 Jul 2017
Food Commission minutes: June 2017