Annex D: Requirement under the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009
Section 57 - Duty to produce a land use strategy
1. The Scottish Ministers must, no later than 31 March 2011, lay a land use strategy before the Scottish Parliament.
2. The strategy must, in particular, set out-
(a) the Scottish Ministers' objectives in relation to sustainable land use;
(b) their proposals and policies for meeting those objectives; and
(c) the timescales over which those proposals and policies are expected to take effect.
3. The objectives, proposals and policies referred to in subsection (2) must contribute to-
(a) achievement of the Scottish Ministers' duties under section 1, 2(1) or 3(1)(b);
(b) achievement of the Scottish Ministers' objectives in relation to adaptation to climate change, including those set out in any programme produced by virtue of section 53(2); and
(c) sustainable development.
4. Before laying the strategy before the Scottish Parliament, the Scottish Ministers must publish a draft strategy and consult with such bodies as they consider appropriate and also with the general public.
5. The strategy must be accompanied by a report setting out-
(a) the consultation process undertaken in order to comply with subsection (4); and
(b) the ways in which views expressed during that process have been taken account of in finalising the strategy (or stating that no account has been taken of such views).
6. The Scottish Ministers must, no later than-
(a) 5 years after laying a strategy before the Scottish Parliament under subsection (1); and
(b) the end of every subsequent period of 5 years,
lay a revised strategy before the Scottish Parliament; and subsections (2) to (5) apply to a revised strategy as they apply to a strategy laid under subsection (1).