Rural Affairs, Food and Environment Research in Context
Rural affairs, food and environment are vital areas for Scotland, with related policies and activities affecting many aspects of life across Scotland, for example:
- Rural Scotland extends over 95% of the land area of Scotland and is home to 18% of the Scottish population.
- Between 2014 and 2020, £1.2 billion will be invested in farming, forestry, crofting and rural development through Scotland's Rural Development Programme.
- Scotland has a diverse and distinctive range of landscapes that are a significant part of the country's natural and cultural heritage, and which make an important and positive contribution to the economic, cultural and social wellbeing of the nation.
- Food and drink is Scotland's fastest growing industry, with food and drink exports valued at £5.5 billion in 2016.
- Scottish Government policies are leading in both local and global efforts to tackle climate change, and by moving towards a circular economy, encouraging waste to be viewed as a resource, rather than a problem.
Email: Jenny Watson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House