This annual publication provides information on recent trends in:
- The balance of HRA housing income and expenditure - the amount councils earned from housing and other council stock, how they spent this income and whether there was a surplus or deficit at year end.
- Council housing stock and rents - the number of council homes and the average weekly rent.
- HRA expenditure on management and maintenance of stock - the amount councils spent on housing maintenance, repairs and management.
- Lost income due to empty properties and rent arrears - including the number of current and former tenants in arrears and the amount of arrears.
- Housing debt - the amount spent on loan charges, interest, capital repayment and loan fund expenses.
- Additional Capital Expenditure - on new build council housing and enhancements to existing council stock.
These data are used by councils to monitor, manage and plan housing finances. The data are checked by the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy. 2016-17 data are actuals (unaudited) whilst 2017-18 are estimates. The bulletin is accompanied by tables, charts, the survey form and guidance. Historical data available at http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Housing-Regeneration/HSfS/HRAmainpage/HRAStatistics2017