An induction programme is just the beginning of the journey. All Non-Executive Directors will require a programme of learning and development activities which has been tailored to meet their individual needs and the requirements of the Board.
Non-Executive Directors should:
- have regular two-way discussions about their performance with Board Chairs;
- play an active role in identifying their own learning and development needs;
- ensure that they have a learning and development plan agreed with the Board Chair;
- mentor less experienced Non-Executives; and
- seek out opportunities to network with other Non-Executives.
Board Chairs can support new Non-Executive Members by:
- ensuring that an induction programme has been developed for their Board;
- ensuring that all core and mandatory training has been provided;
- ensure that they have regular two-way discussions with their Non-Executives about performance;
- ensuring that all Non-Executives have a learning and development plan; and
- seeking out opportunities for Non-Executives to network and engage with other Non-Executives.