beta

You're viewing our new website - find out more

Publication - Minutes

Joint Housing Policy and Delivery Group minutes: November 2016

Published: 8 Nov 2016
Date of meeting: 8 Nov 2016
Date of next meeting: 7 Feb 2017
Location: Edinburgh

Note of 8 November meeting of the JHPDG group, co-chaired by Lesley Fraser, Director for Housing, Regeneration and Welfare, Scottish Government; and Tom Barclay(RICS). Supporting papers are also included.

Attendees and apologies

  • Lesley Fraser, Director for Housing and Social Justice, Scottish Government (JHPDG Co-Chair)
  • Tom Barclay, RICS (JHPDG Co-Chair)
  • Rebekah Widdowfield, Deputy Director, Better Homes Division, Scottish Government
  • Deborah Smith, Deputy Director More Homes Division, Scottish Government
  • Adam Krawczyk Scottish Government, Communities Analytical Services (subs)
  • John McNairney, Chief Planner, Planning & Architecture Division, Scottish Government
  • Elaine McHugh, Association of Local Authority Chief Housing Officers
  • Tony Cain, Association of Local Authority Chief Housing Officers
  • John Wood CoSLA
  • Annie Mauger, Chartered Institute of Housing in Scotland
  • June Deasy, Council of Mortgage Lenders
  • Lori McElroy, Existing Homes Alliance
  • David Stewart, Fuel Poverty Forum and SFHA (subs - SFHA)
  • David Bookbinder, Glasgow and West of Scotland Forum of Housing Associations
  • Peter Marshall, Heads of Planning Scotland
  • George Dodds, NHS Health Scotland
  • Heather Fisken, Independent Living in Scotland
  • Hugh McClung, Central Regional Network of Registered Tenants Organisations
  • George McGuinness, Network of Regional Tenants’ Organisations
  • Malcolm Fraser, Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland
  • Craig McLaren, Royal Town Planning Institute
  • Derek Logie, Rural Housing Scotland
  • John Blackwood, Scottish Association of Landlords
  • Ken Ross, Scottish Property Federation
  • Nicky Lloyd, Scottish Solicitors’ Property Centres (subs)
  • Graeme Brown, Shelter Scotland
  • Ilene Campbell, Tenant Information Service

Others Attending:

  • Kevin Stewart MSP Minister for Local Government and Housing
  • Andrew Mott, Scottish Government (Secretariat)
  • Bethany Wilson, Scottish Government (Secretariat)
  • Éilis Murray, Communication Support

Apologies:

  • Nicola Barclay, Homes for Scotland
  • Andrew Jackson, SFHA (subs David Stewart, also representing Fuel Poverty Forum)
  • Jonathan Gordon, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Scotland
  • Orlaith Brogan, Scottish Solicitors’ Property Centres (subs Nicky Lloyd)
  • Ed Monaghan, Construction Scotland
  • David Signorini, Head of Communities Analytical Services (subs Adam Krawczyk)
  • Lesley Baird, Tenant Participation Advisory Service
  • Professor Ken Gibb, Professor in Housing Economics, University of Glasgow

Items and actions

Introductions and Apologies

1. Lesley Fraser (LF) chairing, welcomed everyone to the seventh meeting of the Joint Housing Policy and Delivery Group (JHPDG), and noted apologies and attendees as above.

Minister for Local Government and Housing

2. The Minister for Local Government and Housing set out his ambitions for housing. He welcomed the Joint Housing Policy and Delivery Group’s clear focus on delivery, and asked that Group members:

  • be players, not spectators in increasing the volume of house-building in Scotland and upping the quality of both new and existing stock.
  • be positive and practical, focusing on what can be done now.
  • be specific about barriers to delivery of the Actions in the Joint Delivery Plan.

3. Representatives from the subgroups updated the Minister and the Group on their top priorities.

Action Point 1: NHS Health Scotland colleagues to prepare a presentation on the place standard

Action Point 2: Colleagues from the Scottish Futures Trust to be invited to present on work to date on use of public sector land for affordable housing

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

Paper: JHPDG 50

4. The minutes of the previous meeting, held on 22 June 2016, were agreed as read.

5. Action points 1-3 are completed, action point 4 remains open, and members were asked to send any further information on the economic contribution of housing to the Secretariat for action point 5. Action point 6 will be dealt with at a future meeting. Action point 7 is in progress, and Tony Cain gave a summary of the work done so far. Adam Krawczyk, substituting for Dave Signorini, updated the Group on action point 8. Action point 9 is in progress, and action point 10 is a standing item.

Action Point 3: NHS Health Scotland and Dave Signorini to discuss whether their datasets can be combined to produce a more comprehensive picture of how housing need maps on to poverty in Scotland (June 2016 – AP 4)

Action Point 4: Members are requested to send any information on the economic contribution of housing available from their organisations to the secretariat, who will compile a crib sheet. This will also include information on tax-related issues from the Scottish Government (June 2016 – AP 5) Action Point 5: Scottish Government colleagues to put information on City Deals on to the Knowledge Hub (June 2016 – AP 6)

Action Point 6: Tony Cain to share the results of ALACHO’s survey of local authorities when analysis completed (June 2016 – AP 7)

Action Point 7: Consideration of a possible ‘Investing in Scottish Housing’ event in 2017 to continue (June 2016 – AP 9)

Action Point 8: Scottish Government colleagues to provide more information on Rental Income Guarantee Schemes

Declarations of conflicts of interest

6. LF explained to members that, although the focus of the JHPDG is on national strategic policy and delivery issues relating to housing, there have been recent queries regarding JHPDG membership and potential conflicts of interest, due to the wide range of organisations and interests represented on the Group.

7. Although there has always been an expectation that any private conflict of interest which might arise would be declared, in the interests of complete transparency, members would now be explicitly invited to declare any specific conflicts of interest which might arise in the course of discussions.

8. No conflicts of interest were flagged by any members with regard to the 8 November meeting.

Scottish Government Significant Strategic Developments

9. LF updated the Group on Scottish Government Strategic Developments.

10. She noted that Group members had been provided with a written update on the More Homes Scotland approach (JHPDG 52), which will be covered in more detail at the plenary meeting in February.

Action Point 9: Secretariat to circulate an updated Scottish Government organogram on the Knowledge Hub.

Exceptions reporting on actions by Subgroups

Papers: JHPDG 53 & JHPDG 54

11. Peter Marshall (Home and Place Subgroup vice-Chair) and Tony Cain (Housing Journey and Support Subgroup Chair) updated the Group on key challenges with regard to delivery plan actions.

Action Point 10: Scottish Government officials and Malcolm Fraser to discuss self-build

Action Point 11: NHS Health Scotland colleagues to prepare a presentation on health, housing and homelessness.

Action Point 12: Co-chairs and Subgroup Chairs to discuss the approach to refreshing the actions.

Update on Energy Efficiency and Fuel Poverty Paper: JHPDG 55

12. Rebekah Widdowfield (RW) spoke to paper JHPDG 55, updating the Group on Energy Efficiency and Fuel Poverty.

Action Point 13: David Stewart to pass Cambridge Econometrics report on the Social and Economic Benefits of Investing in Energy Efficiency, mentioned during the discussion, to the secretariat for dissemination to the Group.

National Housing Day Feedback

Paper: JHPDG 56

13. Annie Mauger (AM) spoke to paper JHPDG 56, reporting back on the first National Housing Day.

14. Further work is planned in the coming year, and AM invited any members who wished to join the Action 26 group to get in contact with her.

Action Point 14: AM to supply geographical analysis of National Housing Day survey to secretariat for dissemination on the Knowledge Hub.

Any other business

15. There was no other business brought forward.

16. Next Meetings: 7 February 2017, 21 June 2017

Action Points

Action Point 1: NHS Health Scotland colleagues to prepare a presentation on the place standard – for agenda – June 2017

Action Point 2: Colleagues from the Scottish Futures Trust to be invited to present on work to date on use of public services estate in meeting affordable housing supply – for agenda – February 2017(Completed)

Action Point 3: NHS Health Scotland colleagues and Dave Signorini to discuss whether their datasets can be combined to produce a more comprehensive picture of how housing need maps on to poverty in Scotland (June 2016 – AP 4) Completed

Action Point 4: All members are requested to send any information on the economic contribution of housing available from their organisations to the secretariat, who will compile a crib sheet. This will also include information on tax-related issues from the Scottish Government (June 2016 – AP 5) In progress

Action Point 5: Scottish Government colleagues to put information on City Deals on to the Knowledge Hub (June 2016 – AP 6) Completed

Action Point 6: Tony Cain to share the results of ALACHO’s survey of local authorities when analysis completed (June 2016 – AP 7) In progress

Action Point 7: Consideration of a possible ‘Investing in Scottish Housing’ event in 2017 to continue (June 2016 – AP 9) In progress

Action Point 8: Scottish Government colleagues to provide more information on Rental Income Guarantee Schemes In progress

Action Point 9: Secretariat to circulate an updated Scottish Government organogram on the Knowledge Hub. Completed

Action Point 10: Scottish Government officials and Malcolm Fraser to discuss self-build. Completed

Action Point 11: NHS Health Scotland colleagues to prepare a presentation on health, housing and homelessness – for agenda – June 2017

Action Point 12: Co-chairs and Subgroup Chairs to discuss the approach to refreshing the actions. Completed

Action Point 13: David Stewart to pass Cambridge Econometrics report on the Social and Economic Benefits of Investing in Energy Efficiency, mentioned during the discussion, to the secretariat for dissemination to the Group. Completed

Action Point 14: Annie Mauger to supply geographical analysis of National Housing Day survey to secretariat for dissemination on the Knowledge Hub.
Completed

National Housing Day Infographic.pdf

2 page PDF
12.3MB

More Homes Scotland Approach.pdf

2 page PDF
90.7kB

Progress Update - Home and Place Subgroup.pdf

1 page PDF
89.9kB

Report on National Housing Day.pdf

5 page PDF
199.1kB

Contact

Bethany Wilson

Published:
8 Nov 2016
Joint Housing Policy and Delivery Group minutes: November 2016