Making Places initiative
Making Places was launched in September 2017. The initiative recognises that communities have different needs, levels of confidence, and may require some support in developing a vision for their place, as well as at the stages before and after this. Consequently, Making Places has three distinct elements:
- Providing support and advice to build the capacity of communities.
- Providing grant funding for participative design events.
- Providing support to enable the delivery of projects.
The recent announcement relates to the second element.
Design events bring local people together with design professionals to identify how their places and communities can be improved. These types of events are an important way of empowering people and enabling participation.
Projects awarded Making Places funding for design events
- Ayr North - South Ayrshire Council - Design workshops to develop a community action plan and vision, including development of play space and community garden on site of Whitletts Primary schools.
- Carlibar Park, Barrhead - East Renfrewshire Council - Design workshop to create a masterplan for the town centre greenspace.
- Clydebank - West Dunbartonshire Council - Design-led project concentrating on Forth & Clyde canal and connection to Clydebank town centre.
- Dunfermline - Carnegie Dunfermline Trust - Community led event to develop a masterplan for a key area in Dunfermline town centre.
- Falkland - Falkland & Newton of Falkland Community Council - Charrette to develop a vision and design statement for Falkland and its immediate environs.
- Foxbar - Renfrewshire Council - Workshops to support the local community to develop a Local Place Plan.
- Glasgow, Phoenix Nursery Site - Agile City Community Interest Company - Project to progress ideas generated by recent Charrettes including development of physical prototypes.
- Helensburgh - Argyll & Bute Council - Community consultation to create a vision and masterplan to inform the future planning process.
- Inverkeithing - Fife Community Council - activities to deliver a Master Plan for Inverkeithing, focusing on community assets, strengths, interests and values.
- Kirriemuir - Kirriemuir Community Council - Develop an architectural plan for a site identified as a key priority in the Kirriemuir Charrette.
- Leith - Citizen Curator & Leith Creative - Develop and pilot a People's Place Plan for Leith, following the successful Leith Blueprint which created a community 'main issues report'.
- Maryhill & Ruchill - Maryhill Housing Association - Walking events and place workshops to identify community priorities and improvement projects.
- Mayfield - McSence Ltd for In It Together Partnership - Series of workshops to involve the community in developing a masterplan for Mayfield & Easthouses.
- New Cumnock - New Cumnock Development Trust - Community design events to develop a regeneration masterplan within the New Cumnock Community Action Plan.
- Pollokshields - The Pollokshields Trust - Develop plans for the creation of the 'East Pollokshields Urban Common' on the site of a derelict bowling green.
- Portobello - Action Porty - To produce a community led, mixed use development masterplan for council owned land at Westbank Street, Portobello.
- Scalloway - Shetland Islands Council - Design workshops to consider the future development of Scalloway and develop a Local Place Plan.
- Westside Plaza, Wester Hailes, Edinburgh - Wester Hailes Community Trust - Charrette to develop a masterplan for Westside Plaza.
- Woodside Improvements - Queens Cross Housing Association - Workshops to develop an action plan for physical and environmental improvements to the Woodside area of North Glasgow.