3. Main findings – NHSScotland
Main findings for WTE staffing in financial year 2017/18:
- Total staff in post (including Management non AfC) is projected to increase by 1,414.2 (up 1.0%).
- Medical ( HCHS) staff projected to increase by 206.6 (up 1.7%).
- Dental ( HCHS) staff projected to increase by 4.3 (up 0.8%).
- Medical and Dental Support staff projected to increase by 25.0 (up 1.3%).
- Nursing and Midwifery is projected to increase by 594.9 (up 1.0%), with NES predicting there will be 0.0 interns in 2018.
- Allied Health Profession job family is projected to increase by 191.5 (up 1.7%).
- Other Therapeutic Services is projected to increase by 105.3 (up 2.5%).
- Healthcare Science is projected to decrease by 26.9 (down 0.5%).
- Personal and Social Care is projected to increase by 6.4 (up 0.3%).
- Ambulance services is projected to increase by 91.1 (up 3.5%).
- Support Services is projected to increase by 130.7 (up 1.0%).
- Administrative Services is projected to increase by 85.3 (up 0.3%).
- A sub-set of Administrative Services is Management (non AfC), including non-executive board members, and this staff group is projected to decrease by 7.1 (down 1.2%).
Table 1: NHSScotland projected staff in post ( WTE) changes for financial year 2017/18 by staff group (including interns)
|Staff group||Board baseline||2017/18 projections|
|31-Mar-17||31-Mar-18||Change 3||Change % 3|
|All staff groups 1,2||139,012.2||140,426.3||1,414.2||1.0%|
|Medical ( HCHS)||12,384.7||12,591.3||206.6||1.7%|
|Dental ( HCHS)||569.6||573.9||4.3||0.8%|
|Medical & Dental Support||1,942.2||1,967.2||25.0||1.3%|
|Nursing and midwifery 1||59,650.1||60,244.9||594.9||1.0%|
|Allied health profession||11,464.1||11,655.6||191.5||1.7%|
|Other therapeutic services||4,224.4||4,329.7||105.3||2.5%|
|Personal and social care||1,893.7||1,900.1||6.4||0.3%|
|Management (non AfC) 4||587.8||580.8||-7.1||-1.2%|
Source – NHSScotland board data. Projections are estimates and as a result are subject to change.
1. All figures in this table have been rounded to the nearest 1 decimal place, and nclude Interns.
2. Due to rounding, figures presented under board baseline and projections may not sum to the total for all staff groups.
3. Figures presented under change and change % have been calculated from the original unrounded data provided by each NHSScotland board. As such, they may not be possible to reproduce from the rounded WTE figures presented in the table.
4. Management (non- AfC) is a sub group of administration services and data are not comparable to the 25% reduction target in senior management posts. The definition used in the target allows the exclusion of clinically orientated staff from within this group, and the inclusion of some AfC administration staff (band 8a and above).
‘x’ = not applicable; ‘-‘ = zero
Table 2: NHS Scotland projected staff in post ( WTE) changes for financial year 2017/18 by NHS board (including interns)
|NHS board||Board baseline||2017/18 projections|
|All NHS boards||139,012.2||140,426.3||1,414.2||1.0%|
|Ayrshire & Arran||8,827.2||8,827.2||-||-|
|Dumfries & Galloway||3,418.6||3,473.6||55.0||1.6%|
|Greater Glasgow & Clyde||34,084.5||34,022.0||-62.5||-0.2%|
|National Waiting Times Centre||1,606.8||1,640.8||34.0||2.1%|
|National Services Scotland||3,285.8||3,432.7||146.9||4.5%|
|Scottish Ambulance Service||4,470.0||4,718.6||248.6||5.6%|
|Education for Scotland||1,091.7||1,179.1||87.4||8.0%|
|Healthcare Improvement Scotland||376.9||399.4||22.5||6.0%|
|Nursing and midwifery interns 1, 2||9.9||0.0||-9.9||-100.0%|
Source - NHSScotland board data. Projections are estimates and as a result are subject to change.
1. Nursing and midwifery interns are projected separately by NHS Education for Scotland ( NES) and are included in the overall projected change for NHSScotland. They are not included in the individual projections from boards.
2. Intern WTE projections have been estimated from headcount estimates provided by NES for all NHSScotland.
'x' = not applicable; '-' = zero
Email: Joanne Collins or Mark Henrichsen, email@example.com
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House