Proposal 14: A more transparent approach to funding infrastructure.
We believe that introducing powers for a new local levy to raise additional finance for infrastructure would be fairer and more effective. Improvements can also be made to Section 75 obligations.
Why we are making a change
The provision of infrastructure is a major challenge to delivering development. We consider there are opportunities offered by a new delivery mechanism to deliver infrastructure which is required to support development across a wider area.
What we are doing
- We remain of the view that options for a levy or charge merit further consideration. We will continue to explore this before coming to a view on the level of detail that can or should be included in the Planning Bill.
- Research - Identifying and assessing options for a new infrastructure levy (first two stages) and is ongoing, we will publish the Stage 3 report in due course.
- We are not currently minded to remove the provisions at Section 75A for modifying planning obligations but remain open to considering whether changes to Section 75 may be required in connection with future decisions on the role of a levy.
How we will deliver change
- primary legislation – yes
- secondary Legislation – yes
- guidance – yes
- non legislative action – Yes
We are still considering the options for introducing an infrastructure levy. We will finalise Stage 3 of the research which identifies options for testing. This will inform the level of detail for potential inclusion in the Planning Bill.
Telephone: 0131 244 7059
Area 2-H (South)
Planning and Architecture Division
The Scottish Government