3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 4)
The devolved public sector includes:
- Devolved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships;
- Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards)
- NHS in Scotland;
- Further Education Colleges;
- Devolved Public Corporations;
- Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Employment in the devolved public sector has decreased by 100 (0.0%) over the last year, from 486,700 in Q2 2016 to 486,600 in Q2 2017. Chart 4 shows the composition of the devolved public sector as at Q2 2017.
Chart 4: Breakdown of Devolved Public Sector Employment by Category, Headcount, Q2 2017
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 2 2017
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
Over the year:
Employment in Scottish Local Government decreased by 1,020 (-0.4%) over the year to 242,000 in Q2 2017.
Employment in the NHS increased by 860 (+0.5%) over the year to 162,200 in Q2 2017. A detailed breakdown on this information by staffing group was published by ISD on the 5 th September 2017: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Workforce/
The number of Police and Fire Service employees decreased by 380 (-1.4%), from 28,100 in Q2 2016 to 27,700 in Q2 2017.
The devolved civil service saw an increase of 210 (+1.3%) in employment between Q2 2016 and Q2 2017.
Employment in other public bodies increased by 50 (+0.3%) to 15,700 in Q2 2017.
Employment in Further Education colleges decreased by 190 (-1.3%) to 13,900 in Q2 2017.
Employment in public corporations increased by 360 (+4.7%) over the year to Q2 2017, increasing from 7,700 in Q2 2016 to 8,100 in Q2 2017.
Email: Tom Pennock, email@example.com
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House