4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector decreased by 350 (-0.6%) to 56,400 in Q3 2017.
The estimated reserved public sector excluding the effects of the major reclassifications increased by 100 (+0.2%) to 43,300 in Q3 2017.
Chart 5 shows the composition of the reserved public sector as at Q3 2017.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by
Sector, Headcount, Q3 2017
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 3 2017
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
Over the year:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service increased by 400 (+1.6%);
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions  decreased by 530 (-4.6%) from 11,700 in Q3 2016 to 11,200 in Q3 2017;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces decreased by 190 (-1.9%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies decreased by 30 (-0.3%).