4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector decreased by 900 (-1.6%) to 56,600 in Q4 2016.
The estimated reserved public sector excluding the effects of the major reclassifications decreased by 210 (-0.5%) to 43,400 in Q4 2016.
Chart 5 shows the composition of the reserved public sector as at Q4 2016.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector
Employment by Sector, Headcount, Q4 2016
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 4 2016
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
Over the year:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service increased by 60 (+0.2%);
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions  decreased by 710 (-6.0%) from 11,900 in Q4 2015 to 11,200 in Q4 2016;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces increased by 10 (+0.1%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies decreased by 260 (-2.6%).
Email: Tom Pennock