The role of HM Inspectors of Education in the process
If the Scottish Ministers believe that a failure of duty has occurred, or if it is not clear from the evidence provided, they may ask Her Majesty's Inspectors of Education ( HMIE) to carry out an inspection into the alleged failed duties. This inspection must be carried out within the overall 105 working day timescale.
As part of this inspection they may:
- Review the documents already submitted
- Arrange to meet with you to discuss your allegations
- Arrange to meet with your child if appropriate
- Arrange to meet with school and education authority staff to discuss specific issues related to the complaint
- Arrange to meet with any relevant group who is contributing to your child's education through a partnership with the education authority
- Review school and/or education authority practice
- Provide Scottish Ministers with a report with their findings
- Provide Scottish Ministers with recommendations on whether the responsible body has failed to carry out its duties.