1. Scientific Review of the Welfare Food Scheme, Department of Health, 2002
2. Eligible childcare settings who can claim for the costs of providing milk include private and local authority run nurseries and day-care settings, childminder services and crèches for children (under 5 years) of management and staff of certain establishments (eg children's homes, voluntary or community homes, NHS hospitals). Set out in Part V of The Welfare Food Regulation 1996.
3. UK Government's Department of Health
6. The weekly cost of providing the recommended daily five portions of fruit/veg across a week per child is around £3.10. This means that the current voucher value only covers fruit/veg and not the cost of buying the recommend ½ pint of milk per day milk for children.
9. Currently, children who meet the free school meals criteria under the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 as amended are entitled to a free meal in Early Learning and Childcare funded provision.
11. Includes research conducted by UNICEF, the British Medical Association and the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition
12. Private and local authority nurseries and day-care settings, childminder services and crèches for children (under 5 years) of management and staff of certain establishments (eg children's homes, voluntary or community homes, NHS hospitals).
13. Semi-skimmed cow's milk, full fat cow's milk and infant formula milk.
14. 60% of childcare providers submit claims on a monthly basis according to our 2017 survey of Scottish childcare providers on the current Nursery Milk Scheme.
15. Setting the Table: Nutritional guidance and food standards for early years childcare providers in Scotland is currently being revised to reflect up-to-date evidence and particular issues highlighted by the recent Scottish Government Maternal and Infant Nutrition Survey: http://www.gov.scot/publications/scottish-maternal-infant-nutrition-survey-2017/
17. Offering three and four year olds and eligible two year olds, 1,140 hours of funded entitlement each year from August 2020.