Innovation and Investment Hubs
We are establishing Innovation and Investment Hubs in Dublin, London, Brussels, Berlin and Paris as part of wider work across government, partners and businesses to support trade, investment, innovation and inter-governmental relations with Europe. Primarily, they provide a platform for collaborative activity to increase exports and attract investment to Scotland.
Each Hub is different and tailored to the opportunities present in the market in which it is located. As well as promoting trade and inward investment, the Hubs also cover broader economic opportunities, including:
- promoting Scotland's research, innovation, industrial, social and cultural strengths
- building diplomatic government-to-government relations
- pursuing cultural collaborations
- exploring collaborative research and innovation opportunities
The Hubs complement Scotland's existing overseas presence, via our international offices.
Find out more about each of the Hubs:
Our first Innovation and Investment Hub, in Dublin, was launched in October 2016 to serve as our representation in Ireland. It provides dedicated support for building on the pre-existing links between Ireland and Scotland.
The Dublin Hub aims to bring together us and our agencies, as well as public and private partners, to:
- promote trade and investment links
- strengthen government-to-government relations
- enable greater collaboration on economic, academic and innovation projects
The Dublin Hub arranges and assists with trade missions, ministerial visits, and government-to-government conversations at an official level. It also links up Scottish and Irish businesses that might be interested in events or opportunities in either country. The Dublin Hub works across a range of sectors, including financial services, creative arts, culture and heritage, and renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Our London Innovation and Investment Hub, named Scotland House London, operates as a collaborative project between us, our enterprise agencies and VisitScotland.
Scotland House provides a permanent presence in London from which to:
- pursue economic and business benefits for businesses
- raise the profile of Scottish investment opportunities
- support the development of international collaborations and research partnerships
- provide opportunities to secure funding for innovation and research
- strengthen our inter-governmental relations
- help protect Scotland's place in Europe
Scottish businesses and organisations can apply for membership of Scotland House London that gives them access to its facilities, meeting rooms and event space.
Scotland has had a long-established presence in Brussels, including almost 20 years in Scotland House at Rond-Point Schuman. In line with our newly established network across the EU in London, Dublin, Berlin, and shortly Paris, we have updated our operations in Scotland House Brussels to provide us with an even more effective platform to address the challenges of Brexit and to enhance our commitment to playing an active role in Europe and supporting our collaborative approach to working with Scottish, EU and International stakeholders.
The partners of Scotland House Brussels are the Scottish Government, Scotland Europa and Scottish Enterprise/Scottish Development International. Scotland House Brussels has well established teams covering diplomatic engagement, economic development and cultural promotion. Our multi-faceted approach to EU engagement with government, public, private and academic sectors working collaboratively to promote Scottish interests means that we have access to influence, strategic networks and project opportunities at all stages of the EU policymaking. This helps us ensure that Scotland punches above its weight in EU affairs.
Scotland House Brussels is the window to Scotland for the EU and wider European and international partners in Brussels. It is a deeply integrated operation providing services to support Scotland's economic growth, diplomatic interests and cultural promotion at the EU level. We use our expertise and experience to promote Scotland's innovation capability, attract EU investment to Scotland and support Scottish organisations to build skills, capacity relationships and productive international networks in key opportunity areas.
The Germany Innovation and Investment Hub opened in April 2018 and will look to foster the conditions and relationships that Scottish companies and institutions need to internationalise and grow.
The new Germany Innovation and Investment Hub will:
- promote investment between German and Scottish businesses and organisations
- increase Scottish Government influence and engagement with Germany
- encourage collaboration between business, research, education and cultural institutions
- build on Scotland's reputation as a destination of choice to work, study and visit
The Hub will be a focal point for Scottish Government engagement across central Europe. The office will jointly house Scottish Government and Scottish Development International staff and is located at Wilhelmstraße 70 in central Berlin.
A Scottish Government Hub is due to open in Paris later in 2018. Further details will be published here when available.