Proposal 1: Aligning community planning and spatial planning
We want development plans to take account of the work of Community Planning Partnerships. We believe introducing a statutory requirement for development plans to take account of community planning will help to achieve this and this can be supported through further detail in guidance.
Why we are making a change
We want to align spatial planning and community planning to ensure better collaboration, co-ordination and greater efficiencies between the two processes. This will result in a focus on positive outcomes for places.
What we are doing
- Research previously undertaken by RTPI Scotland
- Exemplar with West Dunbartonshire Council being initiated to explore how the links work in practice.
- Links with wider programmes of work including projects being undertaken by the Improvement Service.
- Propose a statutory link between development planning and community planning in the Planning Bill.
How we will deliver change
- primary legislation – yes
- secondary legislation – no
- guidance – yes
- non-legislative actions – yes
Following enactment of the bill we will consult on the detail of how the new development planning system should operate in practice. Guidance will also be produced to support local authorities in bringing forward their new style local development plans which will include how community planning and local place plans can be integrated.
Telephone: 0131 244 7059
Area 2-H (South)
Planning and Architecture Division
The Scottish Government