Proposal 6. Giving people an opportunity to plan their own place.
We believe that communities should be given a new right to come together and prepare local place plans. We believe that there should be an opportunity for the community aspirations contained in these plans to form part of the statutory local development plan.
Why we are making a change
Communities are well placed to define the future of their place. We want to encourage more engagement early in the process to give communities more say in the types and locations of development within their area.
What we are doing
- We expect to introduce local place plans, to be prepared by communities, and are developing more detailed but flexible proposals for their preparation.
- We are currently looking at how local place plans could best be designed to address concerns and achieve wider buy-in from all interests in planning.
How we will deliver change
- primary legislation – yes
- secondary Legislation – yes
- guidance – yes
- non legislative action – yes
As well as legislative change, local place plans in particular will require guidance and support for effective implementation. As a starting point, this year's programme of design-led engagement ('charrettes') will explore the challenges and opportunities arising from local place plans in more detail.
Telephone: 0131 244 7059
Area 2-H (South)
Planning and Architecture Division
The Scottish Government