Proposal 6. Giving people an opportunity to plan their own place.
We believe that communities should be given a new right to come together and prepare local place plans. There should be an opportunity for the community aspirations contained in these plans to form part of the statutory local development plan.
Why we are making a change
Communities are well placed to define the future of their place. We want to encourage more engagement early in the process to give communities more say in the types and locations of development within their area.
What we are doing
- We have proposed introducing local place plans, to be prepared by communities.
- We believe a flexible appraoch will help to address concerns about local place plans and ensure that communities are not undully burdened with complexity and procedure.
How we will deliver change
- primary legislation – This is included in the Planning Bill
- secondary Legislation – yes
- guidance – yes
- non legislative action – yes
As well as legislative change, local place plans will require guidance and support for effective implementation. As a starting point, this year's programme of design-led engagement ('charrettes') is being used to help explore the challenges and opportunities arising from local place plans in more detail.
Telephone: 0131 244 7059
Area 2-H (South)
Planning and Architecture Division
The Scottish Government