Building and fire safety working group
Role of the group
This Ministerial Working Group is overseeing a review of building and fire safety regulatory frameworks, and any other relevant matters, in order to help ensure that people are safe in Scotland's buildings, and make any recommendations for improvement as required.
The initial focus of the Group will be on high rise domestic buildings, following the Grenfell Tower fire in London. The Group will also consider other buildings including housing, NHS estate, schools and prisons.
The Group will identify and take forward immediate actions in order to provide appropriate reassurance to residents and communities about their safety. In addition, the Group will identify medium to long-term actions to be taken forward, which will include fire and safety advice and the adequacy of current fire and building regulatory frameworks. The Group will ensure Parliament is updated and respond to any requests as appropriate.
The Group will continue to work with the UK Government and devolved administrations, and will take technical advice as required in order to inform its considerations.
- Angela Constance, Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities (Chair)
- Kevin Stewart, Minister for Local Government and Housing
- Annabelle Ewing, Minister for Community Safety
- Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
- Scottish Government officials
- Building and fire safety group third meeting: news release 13 July 2017
- Building and fire safety group second meeting: news release 28 June 2017
- Communities Minister comments on cladding on high rise buildings: 22 June 2017
- Review of building and fire safety regulations: news release 20 June 2017