Capital investment (charts 13 & 14)
37. Local Authorities' total HRA capital investment on housing, financed from all sources (including new borrowing, useable receipts and financed from the CFCR from the HRA surplus), totalled around £684m in 2016-17, an increase of over £18m since 2015-16.
38. This housing capital investment also varies between areas, for example in 2016-17 Fife council invested around £120m on housing capital projects whilst the Shetland Islands invested around £0.5m.
39. In 2016-17 councils invested over £375m on improvements to existing council houses (down 6% on last year from £399m) and £260m on new council houses (up 20% on last year from £215m). This expenditure is in addition to the day-to-day maintenance referred to above. In 2016-17 the councils with the greatest capital investment in new council housing were Fife (around £85m) followed by West Lothian (around £27m).
Chart 13: Gross
1, 1997-98 to
Scottish Governent - Capital Expenditure Returns provided by Scottish Local Authorities.
1. Six councils transferred their housing stock to the housing association sector, therefore HRA information is not available for them.
2. Dotted lines indicate breaks in comparability following the transfer of housing stock as follows:
- from 2003-04 transfer of housing stock from Glasgow, Dumfries & Galloway and Scottish Borders,
- from 2006-07 transfer of housing stock from Argyll & Bute and Eilean Siar,
- from 2007-08 transfer of housing stock from Inverclyde.
Chart 14: Capital expenditure on house improvement and new
1, by Local Authority, 2016-17 (Estimates)
Source: Scottish Governent - Capital Expenditure Returns provided by Scottish Local Authorities.
1. Six councils transferred their housing stock to the housing association sector, therefore HRA information is not available (n.a.) for them.