Proposal 13: Embedding an infrastructure first approach.
There is a need for better co-ordination of infrastructure planning at a national and regional level. This will require a stronger commitment to delivering development from all infrastructure providers.
Why we are making a change
Infrastructure plays a critical role in how a place functions. We want infrastructure to help us build places which function properly so people have choices about how they move around, access facilities and live sustainable healthy lives.
What we are doing
- We are considering options for establishing a national delivery group to support co-ordination of development and infrastructure.
- We will work with the Scottish Futures Trust on unblocking stalled sites and expect to discuss the scope for a working group with infrastructure providers (both public and private sector).
How we will deliver change
- primary legislation – no
- secondary Legislation – no
- guidance – yes
- non-legislative action – yes
- To develop the regional scale of infrastructure planning in more detail, we will explore approaches to regional infrastructure audits further over the coming months.
- We will also continue to work with infrastructure providers to define how best to facilitate their involvement in the planning system.
Telephone: 0131 244 7059
Area 2-H (South)
Planning and Architecture Division
The Scottish Government