Table 1c. Agricultural area in hectares, 2007 to 2017
Final Results of the June 2017 Agricultural Census together with June results for the years 2007 to 2016 for comparison
From 2009, data on land use has been obtained from the Single Application Form ( SAF) for holdings claiming Basic Payment Scheme entitlements (previously Single Farm Payments). This has been combined with land use data from all other holdings, collected through June Census forms, to generate overall results.
This change in the underlying data source constitutes a step change in the data series, which is more evident for certain land use categories.
|2007||2008||2009 (1)||b Step change - use of SAF Data||Percentage
2016 & 2017
|Fallow - under 5 years||:||:||:||18,798||10,988||11,306||12,955||7,447||30,061||40,217||34,778||-13.5%|
|Fallow - 5th year & over||:||:||:||3,136||4,068||4,171||2,875||4,463||3,049||2,791||3,781||35.5%|
|Total crops, fallow, and set-aside||600,667||602,386||586,609||571,895||582,968||588,873||586,761||589,017||592,698||582,243||591,540||1.6%|
|Grass - under 5 years||316,026||300,838||415,531||422,623||411,179||428,538||439,061||425,742 b||212,964||210,080||206,254||-1.8%|
|Grass - 5th year & over||919,123||917,738||945,298||954,646||946,372||896,649||882,165||882,387 b||1,127,964||1,117,854||1,112,587||-0.5%|
|Total grass||1,235,149||1,218,576||1,360,828||1,377,268||1,357,551||1,325,187||1,321,226||1,308,129 b||1,340,928||1,327,934||1,318,841||-0.7%|
|Total crops and grass||1,835,816||1,820,963||1,947,438||1,949,163||1,940,519||1,914,059||1,907,987||1,897,146||1,933,625||1,910,177||1,910,381||0.0%|
|Total sole right agricultural area||5,597,386||5,646,906||5,584,918||5,643,391||5,625,159||5,604,114||5,604,008||5,595,967||5,576,420||5,652,152||5,754,339||1.8%|
(1) From 2009, data on land use has been obtained from the Single Application Form ( SAF) for holdings claiming Basic Payment Scheme entitlements (previously Single Farm Payments)
(2) Information on land that has been fallow for more than five years and less than 5 years was collected for the first time in 2010
(3) Set-aside entitlements under the Single Farm Payment Scheme ceased in 2009.
(4) Note that some crop areas on land attracting set-aside entitlements under the Single Farm Payment Scheme in 2008 may not have been reported on the June Agricultural Census. Conversely, the set-aside estimate could include some land used for non-industrial arable, forage and protein crops.
(5) Change in definitions of grass used in June Agricultural Census to "Rotational grass under 5 years" and "Permanent grassland"
b break in time series
: not available - question was not previously asked on the June Agricultural Census
z not applicable
Email: Karren Friel Karren Friel
Telephone: Central Enquiries Unit 0300 244 4000