3. Scope and transitional arrangements
The draft Registration of Independent Schools (Prescribed Person) (Scotland) Regulations 2017 attached at Annex B provide for the following:
- The definition of a prescribed person. This is any person who is not a registered teacher. "Registered teacher" means a teacher whose particulars are recorded in the register maintained by the General Teaching Council for Scotland.
- That from 1 st October 2017 any teacher employed by an independent school must not be a prescribed person.
- A transitional period of 3 years (until 1 st October 2020) for registration to be achieved by current teachers working in schools at the point the regulations come into force.
- The arrangements for consideration of an application to register an independent school that has been submitted to Scottish Ministers before 1 st October 2017 but a decision has not been determined. A period of 6 months (until 1 st April 2018) has been provided for an application to be considered and if registration is granted any teacher or proposed teacher on the application form who is not GTCS registered will be given 3 years from the date of registration of the school to meet the GTCS standards.
Email: Stacey-Ann Lindsay