4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector increased by 2000 (+3.5%) to 58,500 in Q1 2016.
The estimated reserved public sector excluding the effects of the major reclassifications would have increased by 1,200 (+2.8%) from 42,900 in Q1 2015 to 44,000 in Q1 2016.
Chart 5 shows the composition of the reserved public sector as at Q1 2016.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by Sector, Headcount, Q1 2016
Over the year:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service up by 300 (+1.1%);
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions  increased by 700 (+5.6%) from 12,000 in Q1 2015 to 12,700 in Q1 2016;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces up by 900 (+9.1%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies up by 200 (+1.8%).
Email: Claire Gordon