4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector decreased by 1,090 (-1.9%) to 57,000 in Q2 2017.
The estimated reserved public sector excluding the effects of the major reclassifications decreased by 50 (-0.1%) to 43,600 in Q2 2017.
Chart 5 shows the composition of the reserved public sector as at Q2 2017.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by Sector, Headcount, Q2 2017
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 2 2017
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
Over the year:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service increased by 160 (+0.6%);
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions  decreased by 1,170 (-9.2%) from 12,600 in Q2 2016 to 11,500 in Q2 2017;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces decreased by 30 (-0.3%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies decreased by 60 (-0.6%).
Email: Tom Pennock, firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House