1. Scottish Government (2016). Beating Cancer: Ambition and Action Available from: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/242498/0067458.pdf (accessed December 2016).
2. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (2008). Management of Bowel Cancer Services Standards [online]. Available from: http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/programmes/cancer_care_improvement/cancer_resources/standards_for_cancer_services.aspx (accessed October 2012).
3. SIGN (2011). Diagnosis and management of colorectal cancer [online]. Available from: http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign126.pdf (access October 2012).
4. NICE (2011). Colorectal cancer: The diagnosis and management of colorectal cancer [online]. (accessed October 2012).
5. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (2008). Management of Core Cancer Services Standards [online]. http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/our_work/cancer_care_improvement/cancer_resources/standards_for_cancer_services.aspx (accessed August 2013).
6. Morris AM, Baldwin LM, Matthews B, Dominitz JA, Barlow WE, Dobie SA, et al. (2007). Reoperation as a quality indicator in colorectal surgery: a population-based analysis. Ann Surg.245,73-9.
7. Merkow RP, Bilimoria KY, Cohen ME, Richards K, Ko CY, Hall BL. (2009). Variability in reoperation rates at 182 hospitals: a potential target for quality improvement. J Am Coll Surg 2009. 209, 557-64.
8. Mirnezami A, Mirnezami R, Chandrakumaran K, Sasapu K, Sagar P, Finan P. (2011). Increased local recurrence and reduced survival from colorectal cancer following anastomotic leak: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Surg. 253, 890-9.
9. Burns EM, Bottle A, Aylin P, Darzi A, Nicholls RJ, Faiz, O (2011). Variation in reoperation after colorectal surgery in England as an indicator of surgical performance: retrospective analysis of Hospital Episode Statistics. BMJ. 343: d4836 [online]. Available from: http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4836 (accessed August 2013).
10. National Bowel Cancer Audit (2011). National Bowel Cancer Audit Annual Report [online]. (accessed October 2012).
11. NHS National Institute for Health Research (2011). Eligibility Criteria for NIHR
Clinical Research Network Support. Available from: http://www.nihr.ac.uk/funding-and-support/documents/Study-Support-Service/Eligibility/Eligibility%20Criteria%20for%20NIHRCRN%20support.pdf (accessed December 2016)
12. NHS National Institute for Health Research. Clinical Trials Toolkit: Glossary [online]. 2013 [cited 2013 December 19]; Available from: http://www.ct-toolkit.ac.uk/glossary
13. National Cancer Institute. Translational Research Working Group Definition of Translational Research. [online]. 2013. [cited 2013 December 19]; Available from: https://www.cancer.gov/images/trwg/trwg-oct06rt-exsum-11-21-06.pdf.
Email: Chris Booth